Maintaining an optimal level of wellness is an important part of living a higher quality life. Everything we do and every emotion we feel relates to our well-being. The other side of the coin is true too, our well-being directly affects our actions and emotions, it’s an ongoing cycle. We need to achieve optimal wellness in order to minimize stress, reduce the risk of illness and ensure positive interactions and relations.
There are at least 8 dimensions of wellness: physical, emotional, spiritual, environmental, financial, social, intellectual, and occupational and they are all interrelated.
Although a Dentist can influence your Emotional wellness (a beautiful smile will help you with better relationships) or Occupational wellness (statistically people with better oral health and teeth are perceived as smarter and get better jobs easier), probably the most help you'll get with your Physical Wellness.
Understanding the relationship between your oral health and your overall health is very important in order to develop a balanced physical wellness.
Applying a few principles of good health and knowledge will affect your behavior patterns towards a healthier lifestyle. Here are a few easy steps to take to maintain an optimal level of physical wellness:
- Engage in some physical activity every 30 minutes, even if it's just to get up and go get a glass of water or walk outside for a minute, seating for too long is bad. Try to workout everyday too.
- Use stairs instead of the elevator or escalator and park farther to give yourself a chance to walk more.
- Use better nutrition, natural, fresh ingredients as much as possible to boost your immune system. Also, try to control your meal portions.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule and get 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night.
- Maintain your good health by keeping a good oral hygiene with regular checkups an cleanings, daily flossing and brushing. Ask us if you need more advice, a good oral hygiene helps with your overall health.
- Avoid toxic food, ingredients, containers or situations and procedures, chose a natural, non-toxic environment whenever possible.